Tuesday, July 8, 2014

An Interview with Kathryn Adams

(NOTE: Found a couple of old interviews which I have not rescued from cyberspace. Hope you enjoy!!)

A interview with actress Kathryn Adams
by Rusty White
Friday, August 24, 2001

There were numerous actors at the Memphis Film Festival which I was not able to spend extended periods of time with. I wasn't able to speak with Sam Edwards other than to say hello and have him sign my daughter's "Bambi" video box. He was Thumper. Due to time constraints, Kathryn Adams and Peggy Stewart were two others who I was unable to ask more than a few questions of. What follows is my conversation with Ms. Adams.

The former Mrs. Hugh Beaumont (Mr. Cleaver) was attending her first film festival. She is pictured with her former husband at right from the film "Blonde for a Day." She seemed genuinely amazed at the adoration of her fans.

Katherine Adams: I haven't given my career a second thought in 20 years. This all so amazing.

     An elderly man handed her a stack of movie stills to sign and personalize. After signing several, she came upon one of her and Billy Halop (one of the Dead End Kids). It was obvious that the photo brought back some forgotten memory,

KA: Oh my, that's Billy. He was a dear soul. He's dead now.

     As with others of her generation, death is an ever present thought. So many of their friends and colleagues have passed on.

KA: Poor Billy. Huntz Hall (probably the most recognizable of the Dead End Kids) is gone too.
Then, thinking of her husband of over 40 years....
KA: It's to bad Hugh didn't live long enough to see how popular "Leave It To Beaver" became with newer generations. Oh my, I sure am getting philosophical today.

     Ms. Adams smiled. It was easy to see that the Memphis Film Festival was impacting her in ways she hadn't imagined. I asked her about working with Hitchcock.

Rusty White: It has been said that Hitchcock saw actors as cattle. What are your memories of working with him on "Saboteur?"

KA: Hitchcock was wonderful. There is a term called 'Minnesota nice.' Have you heard of it?

No I haven't.

KA: Well Mr. Hitchcock was Minnesota nice. He was very gentle. He moved slow. Just a delight. I don't even remember him having to direct me. He never said "Do it this way, or that way." He was just a delight. So was the star of the movie Robert Cummings. Bob called everyone 'Stinky.' It was his way of leveling the playing field. Every one from Hitchcock to the crew was stinky.

No comments: